Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho Review


The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho

I've heard of this book for a while and I've been curious to read it. I started it sometime earlier this year and got through half of it. I was able to finish it and reflect upon it and wanted to give a general review. It's a short and simple book but there's a deep philosophical meaning in it. Here's a quick review on it that won't spoil the book.

What's it about:

The Alchemist is a book about a sheaperd boy, Santiago, who goes on his personal journey to find treasure but he discover something more. On the way he meets a gypsy, a king, an alchemist, and many more people which will impact his life in many ways.

My thoughts:

I always love story about the main character(s) going on adventures because that's how conflicts and obstacles can pursue. Santiago is but a young teenage boy who's trying to make something of himself. His self discovery and how his character evolves throughout the book is the thing that makes this book shine. As he meet each side character, he would learn something from them and matures as a person. The setting was great. He travels from Spain to different town sand crosses the desserts to Egypt to find the Pyramid where the treasure lies. He was able to pick up another language and learn about different cultures and different ways of thinking. Also, alchemy did come into play later in the book and you'll find out how if you read the book. I really enjoy the last half of the books and the end leaves me in awe a bit. Overall, The Alchemist was a great book about one's journey of self discovery and I did learn a few things out of it. It's a good book and I do recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment