Sunday, June 23, 2013

Unwind by Niel Shusterman Review


Title: Unwind
Author: Neal Shusterman
Published: June 2, 2009
ISBN: 1416912053

Synopsis from Goodreads:

The Second Civil War was fought over reproductive rights. The chilling resolution: Life is inviolable from the moment of conception until age thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, parents can have their child "unwound," whereby all of the child's organs are transplanted into different donors, so life doesn't technically end. Connor is too difficult for his parents to control. Risa, a ward of the state is not enough to be kept alive. And Lev is a tithe, a child conceived and raised to be unwound. Together, they may have a chance to escape and to survive.

My thoughts:

O! How I adore Unwind. This was the first book written by Neal Shusterman that I read and it entertained me to the very end. I love the plot and the world building in this story. The crazy AWOL scene on the freeway was memorable. The lead characters' story intertwined as the book progress, which was very well done. I really like the lead characters in this book. Connor was the tough kid with a good heart. Risa was the unfortunate girl in an unfortunate situation. Lev was made to believe he was doing it for the good of the family. What's even better was that they were all dynamic characters that evolved. Some were for the better and some were not. Neal Schesterman explain each character backstory well and he crafted the story that didn't bored the readers. Yes, the unwinding scenes was very detailed and gruesome and sad. It wasn't as bad though but very memorable. I definitely recommend this book for older teens and up due to some violence scenes and the unwinding scenes. I did pick up Unwholly and will continue with book 2. Also I can't wait for the third book UnSouled to come out later this year too. Kudos to you Neal Shuesterman for making Unwind one of my favorite books.

No comments:

Post a Comment